If you grow your own red onions and sweet bell peppers, this is a great go-to recipe for a nice low-carb or keto type of meal.
You can purchase large Portabello Mushrooms from your local grocery store in the Produce aisle. I particularly love this for any left-over taco meat that we might have — it is a great alternative for lunch the next day! You can swap in whatever cheese you have on hand although mozzarella is so tasty with this combo. If you have guacamole or ranch dressing, it is a nice topping as well.
Let us know if you try this recipe in the comments below! Be sure to print and save the recipe below!
Mexican Portabello Mushroom Bowl
Low fat, low carb option for lunch or dinner utilizing left-overs from Taco Night
Servings: 2 people
- Oven (Top Broil)
- Cookie Sheet
- Mixing Bowl
- Mixing Spoon
- 1 Orange, Yellow, or Red Sweet Bell Pepper, Diced (Find Sweet Bell Pepper Seeds at http://store.growyourhealthgardening.com)
- 2 cups Taco Meat (Ground Beef or Ground Turkey) Left overs work great for this recipe!
- 4 large Portabello Mushroom Caps Remove center stem and scrape away gently the gills in the interior area of the mushroom cap
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded
- 1/2 cup Red Onion, Raw, Chopped